Have I mentioned how much I love sourdough pancakes? The batter is malleable to whatever is your whim. If you're unfamiliar with my love of sourdough pancakes, here's this post for reference.
For something more savory and substantial I made these pancakes for dinner. Whipping up a half batch of batter was just right for about 8 medium-ish pancakes. Perfect full meal for two people or entree for three or four.
250 g fed sourdough starter
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar (can omit)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup milk
fresh cracked pepper, I didn't measure
Filling, can vary based on what you have on hand
1 cup sweet corn
heaping 1/2 cup small shrimp, cooked
1/4 cup diced onion
- Mix the wet ingredients, fed starter, beaten egg and oil in a large bowl
- Then mix the sugar, salt, baking soda and milk into a small bowl and stir together. It will start lifting up a bit so then quickly put it into the larger bowl that has the other wet ingredients
- Whisk together and add the fillings
- Grease a griddle or skillet and heat to medium-ish; hot or low depending on your stove top
- Using a large spoon, or pouring the batter into a measuring cup with a spout, pour the batter on to the pan.
- Wait for bubbles to appear and then flip to the other side, about 2-3 mins each
I topped my cakes with some hot sauce, but sour cream, hummus, tzatziki, you name it would be just as appetizing.